Rename "Messages" to "Posts" and "Discussions" to "Threads"

Status

alice

Supreme
Feedback score
Reactions
Resources
As opposed to other popular widely-used forum frameworks such as MyBB, vBulletin, phpBB, etc., XenForo by default calls posts "Messages" and calls threads "Discussions".

Do you ever see anyone say "Message a discussion"? No. Everyone will always say "Post a thread". It is the widely accepted terminology on the internet.

Even when posting a thread on McM, you see "Create Thread" on the bottom and not "Create Discussion"
sS3KfPL.png

"Messages" is a more abstract term that can refer to multiple things, but in most cases it's used to refer to DM messages or private messages. "Posts" will essentially always refer to forum posts. It is less vague, and a term that everyone understands and agrees with through common usage.

I recall when I first registered and started posting on McM, these two terms just felt a little off when looking at users' postbits. Your total message count on your postbit doesn't have as much merit as it would if it were called posts. Therefore, it could be argued that this slight change would slightly boost forum activity because users would want to post more to boost their post count.

My suggestion is to rename these two terms in all places found on McM, including each of the subforums and postbit area.

Status
Implemented
Last edited:
ReliableSite: Dedicated Servers

Mick

BuiltByBit Owner
Administrator
Feedback score
Reactions
Resources
I mean.... sure?

I'll move this to pending, thanks

Mick

BuiltByBit Owner
Administrator
Feedback score
Reactions
Resources
This has been implemented, thanks for the suggestion.

Status
You need to upgrade!
Our dark style is reserved for our Premium members. Upgrade here.